We can only recommend our Bellawood Floor Cleaner, or cleaners that are safe for water based urethane finishes. Never use any polish, wax, oil soaps or cleaners that add shine to the floor. In addition, we do not recommend using steamers or wet-jet cleaning systems for hardwood because spraying can collect moisture in between board edges.
2) ROUTINE MAINTENANCE and PROTECTION
1. Sweep, dust, or vacuum the floor regularly with a recommended floor attachment (not a beater bar) to prevent accumulation of dirt and grit that can scratch or dull the floor finish. A more frequent dust-mopping or vacuuming schedule may be required in very sandy areas such as a beach home.
2. Periodically clean the floor with manufacturers cleaning products or products made specifically for urethane finishes; never use oil soaps, detergents or wax.
3. Use a damp cloth to blot up spills as soon as they happen.
4. For tough spots, such as oil, paint, markers, ink, or tar, apply mineral spirits on a clean white cloth then wipe the area with a damp cloth to remove any residue.
5. For spots such as candle wax or chewing gum, harden the spot with ice and then gently scrape with a plastic scraper, such as a credit card.
6. Entry mats will help collect the dirt, sand, grit, oil, asphalt, or driveway sealer or pool chlorines that might otherwise be tracked onto your floor.
7. Keep your pet's nails trimmed to prevent them from scratching your floor.
8. UV sunlight will enhance the tone of different species of hardwood to varying degrees. Periodically rearranging your area rugs and furniture will allow the floor to antique or age evenly.
9. Use a dolly when moving heavy furniture or appliances; use a piece plywood or Masonite to protect the floor. Never try to slide or roll heavy objects across the floor.
10. Use floor protectors under desks and wide-load bearing rollers to minimize indentations and scratches from heavy objects such as office desk chairs. As a rule, the heavier the object, the wider the floor protector.
11. Maintain a normal indoor relative humidity level between 35%-55% and temperatures of 60°-80° throughout the year to minimize the natural expansion and contraction of the wood.
1. Do not wash or wet mop the floor with soap, water, oil-soap detergent, or any other liquid cleaning material. This could cause swelling, warping, delamination, and joint-line separation, and void the warranty.
2. Do not use steel wool, abrasive cleaners, or strong ammoniated or chlorinated type cleaners.
3. Do not use any type of buffing or polishing machine, these can generate heat or hot spots.
4. Do not use rubber, foam or plastic backed mats as they may discolor the flooring finish. To prevent slippage, use an approved rug underlayment.
5. Avoid excessive exposure to water during periods of inclement weather.
6. Do not walk on the floor with stiletto heels, shoes with sports cleats or exposed metal parts.
7. Do not allow sharp, pointed, or rough textured objects to be exposed to the hardwood flooring.
8. Lumber Liquidators does not endorse the use of steam cleaning machines on hard wood products, use at your own risk.
9. Toys and tools can scratch the finishes, scratches and dents are jobsite related, not warrantable.
10. If using glue-down or floating installation methods, do not allow foot traffic or heavy furniture on floor for 24 hours.
Enjoy your new floor!
Thank you for your inquiry.
Answered on 4/15/2015 by cc-2