To allow for expansion. All wood flooring will expand and contract throughout the seasons of the year based on temperature and relative humidity. Nailing it down does not stop this movement.
Lumber Liquidators denies any responsibility for problems arising from job site failures, environmental or moisture issues, inappropriate or improperly prepared subfloors, poor installations and improper tool usage.
GENERAL INFORMATION (all installations)
• Customers are advised to be home during the installation for consultation.
• Customer and installer should discuss installation and layout to maximize satisfaction.
• Inspect flooring during installation.
• Maintain proper perimeter expansion gap.
• Trim bottom of the door frame with handsaw to insert boards underneath.
• Avoid board grouping. Board sizes should be intermingled.
• Floor should be installed from several cartons at the same time to ensure good color, shade and appearance.
• Save a box of flooring for use in future repairs.
• After installation, do not fully cover the new installation with plastic or paper. Moisture or board discoloration issues may result.
• Because jobsite conditions can be dry today and wet tomorrow the use of moisture barriers are recommended.
Answered on 6/16/2011 by customer care 2