Bostik w/ Cork and Insulayment
D. Michael Umbarger
Technical Service Manager Consumer
January 11, 2011
Bob Middleton Lumber Liquidators
3000 John Deere Road
Toano, VA 23168
RE: Lumber Liquidators Cork and Insulayment® Recommendations
Dear Mr. Middleton,
I am pleased to provide you with recommendations for the installation of Insulayment® and cork.
1. Bostik Inc. is pleased recommend Bostik's Best, EFA+ and Vapor-Lock TM for the installation of Insulayment® by MP Global Products L.L.C. over approved substrates.
- Bostik's Best and EFA+ will provide sufficient adhesion when applied with a 3/16" X 5/32" V notch trowel.
- Bostik's Vapor-Lock TM will provide adhesion and a vapor retardation membrane in one application when the material is applied with a 3/16" X 5/32" V-notch trowel.
- A uniform layer of Vapor-Lock TM must be achieved to obtain the moisture protection characteristics. It is important to check the adhesive application during the installation to confirm 100% coverage.
- For glue down installations of wood flooring directly to Insulayment, follow installation instructions in Bostik Technical Data Sheets.
2. Bostik Inc. is pleased to recommend the following products for sub-floor moisture protection and improved sound reduction beneath cork underlayment on glue-down wood flooring applications.
- Cork may be bonded to the MVP 4 underlayment with Bostik Best or EFA+ adhesives. Use a 1/8" X 1/8" square notch trowel for installing 1/4" (6mm) and 1/8" (3mm) thick cork underlayment. Bostik does not recommend Bostik MVP 4 beneath floating laminate floors.
- Cork may also be bonded to concrete with Bostik's Vapor-Lock TM . This product will provide adhesion and a vapor retardation membrane in one application. For cork, Vapor-Lock TM should be applied with a 3/16" x 5/32" V-notch trowel to achieve a uniform and continuous layer of adhesive.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me or a member of the Technical Service team.
D. Michael Umbarger
211 Boston Street
Middleton, MA 01949-2128 USA
Tel: 978-750-7234 - Fax: 978-750-7217
Lumber Liquidators Cork and Insulayment® Recommendations