Mapei Primer T TDS
Primer T is a low-VOC, water-based acrylic primer that enhances the performance and adhesion of self-leveling underlayments (SLUs) on nonabsorbent surfaces such as ceramic tile, vinyl composition tile (VCT) and adhesive residue, as well as profiled, absorbent surfaces. Suitable for a wide variety of substrates, Primer T combines excellent versatility with an easy, low-odor application.
WHERE TO USE
- Use over properly prepared ceramic tile, VCT, natural stone or exterior-grade plywood substrate before applying SLUs or cementitious adhesives.
- Use over substrates that have residue of well-bonded old cutback adhesive, floor-covering adhesive or polyurethane adhesive.
- Use before application of self-leveling underlayments over properly prepared sound and stable concrete substrates, whether smooth and nonabsorbent or profiled and absorbent.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
- One-component, versatile primer for a wide variety of substrate conditions
- Low-odor and VOC compliance for safe use in interior, occupied environments
- Single-coat application for faster turnaround and lower installation costs
- Easy handling and application
- Ideal primer for use with the SLUs Ultraplan® Easy and Novoplan® Easy
INDUSTRY STANDARDS AND APPROVALS
- LEED (Version 3.0) Points Contribution LEED Points
- MR Credit 5, Regional Materials*.....................Up to 2 points
- IEQ Credit 4.2, Low-Emitting
- Materials - Paints & Coatings .........................1 point
- Do not install over any substrates containing asbestos.
- Substrate and ambient temperatures must be between 50°F and 95°F (10°C and 35°C).
- Protect from freezing.
- Test concrete substrate using a calcium chloride test (ASTM F1869) to ensure moisture vapor emissions rate is below 5 lbs. per 1,000 sq. ft. (2,27 kg per 92,9 m2) per 24 hours.
- Verify substrate is free of bond-inhibiting or bond-breaking materials such as curing compounds and dust.
- For use only in dry, interior environments. Do not apply on wet substrates.
- Use undiluted over moisture-stable, exterior-grade plywood.
- Use undiluted over dense, nonabsorbent surfaces, such as floor-covering adhesive residue, and properly prepared ceramic tile and VCT.
- Dilute product for application over absorbent, porous substrates 1:1 to 2:1 (water:primer).
- Properly prepared ceramic tile, VCT and natural stone
- Substrates with traces of well-adhered, water-resistant glue (cutback adhesive, floor-covering adhesive or polyurethane adhesive)
- Dimensionally stable and moisture-stable wood
- Properly prepared sound and stable concrete substrates, whether smooth and non-absorbent or profiled and absorbent
- Use over dust-free gypsum-based SLUs before application of cementitious or gypsum-based SLUs
- All substrates must be interior, structurally sound, dry, solid and stable.
- Mechanically prepare existing ceramic, quarry and porcelain tile, as well as cement terrazzo.
- Thoroughly clean all surfaces of any substance that could interfere with the bond of the installation material, including dirt, paint, tar, asphalt, wax, oil, grease, latex compounds, sealers, curing compounds, form release agents, laitance, loose toppings, foreign substances, and poorly bonded or incompatible adhesive.
- Repair cracks in substrate before proceeding.
- Expansion and movement joints must be honored through the finished flooring system.
- Do not acid-etch surfaces before applying Primer T.
- When applying MAPEI underlayments to plywood flooring or oriented strand board (OSB), the installation specifics (finished flooring, load, use and/or deflection) may require the use of MAPEI's Mapelath? or diamond mesh (meeting the requirements of ASTM C847) on top of the primed surface before application of the underlayment. In all cases, one can anticipate better performance when utilizing lath, particularly over OSB. Refer to the current Mapelath TDS for installation instructions. Differential or excessive movement within a plywood substrate may lead to hairline cracks at plywood joints.
CLEANUPClean equipment immediately with water. Mineral spirits may be used to remove primer that has dried on tools.
Product Performance Properties
|Percent solids||43% to 45%|
|pH||7.0 to 8.0|
|Viscosity (RV2 @ 20 rpm)||1,400 cps|
|Density||64.2 lbs. per cu. ft. (1.03 g per cm3)|
|Application temperature range||50°F to 95°F (10°C to 35°C)|
Shelf Life and Application Properties
|Shelf life||2 years in original container. Protect from freezing during transport and storage.|
|Window for application of SLU at 73°F (23°C)||2 to 3 hours of drying time up to 24 hours from application over porous substrate (concrete and wood); 4 to 5 hours of drying time up to 24 hours from application over nonporous substrate (ceramic, VCT)|
|Flash point (Seta)||>212°F (100°C)|
CSI Division Classifications
|Cast Underlayment||03 54 00|
|36691||1 U.S. qt. (946 mL)|
|36657||2 U.S. gals. (7,57 L)|
Approximate Product Coverage
|Typical Application Tool||Coverage*|
|3/8" (10 mm) nap roller||
2 U.S. gals. (7,57 L): 400 to 800 sq. ft. (37,2 to 74,3 m2)
Per 1 U.S. qt. (946 mL): 50 to 100 sq. ft. (4,65 to 9,29 m2)
Refer to MAPEI's Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for specific data related to VOCs, health and safety, and handling of product.
STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITYBefore using, user shall determine the suitability of the product for its intended use and user alone assumes all risks and liability whatsoever in connection therewith.
1144 East Newport Center Drive
Deerield Beach, Florida
1-800-992-6273 (U.S. and Puerto Rico)
1-800-361-9309 (Canada) Customer Service 1-800-42-MAPEI (1-800-426-2734)
warranty data, visit www.mapei.com. Edition Date: December 10, 2009 PR5778 PRTD_L09Evp® 2009 MAPEI Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Printed in the USA.